Solid Quarter

Visit Trembling Pillow Press for poetry books, broadsides, chapbooks, and Solid Quarter Magazine.

Visit New Orleans Poetry Fest for the annual 4 day poetry festival directed by Bill Lavender and Megan Burns.

Megan Burns' Poeticsofbone&city project on Tumblr



Friday, November 08, 2013

NAPUSWRIMO: Taboo



Why we can't say 
"Vagina"


I remember when you couldn't talk about abortion and say the word "Vagina."
I remember when Oprah told us what she called her Vagina.
I remember when Women's Day suggested that in order to get a raise you should 
freshen your Vagina.
I remember all the times the word vagina was used when someone really meant vulva.
I remember learning every other word for the word vagina.
I remember teaching each one of my children the word vagina.
I remember when Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut and a prostitute because 
she was using her vagina to have sex and wanted to protect it.
I remember when Republican Mike Callton said that the word "Vagina" was so offensive he wouldn't say it in front of women. 
I remember when Naomi Wolf wrote Vagina: A New Biography but I can't remember if anyone read it.
I remember when we had to have an exhibition of vaginas to teach women about vaginas. 
I remember a time before labiaplasty was a popular procedure. 
I remember thinking someone is actually making money selling women Vagina tightening pills. 
And it's probably a man.
I remember looking at thousands of images of Vaginas on Tumbl, more than half depicted rape, abuse, or violence against them. 
I remember being so angry when I was a teenager because I could be raped, and there was nothing I could do about it. 
I remember watching a movie called "Vagina Dentata" where a woman's vagina bit off penises. 
It was hilarious. 





No comments: