Solid Quarter

Blood Jet Poetry Series in New Orleans, weekly poetry and music as well as open mic performances

Visit Trembling Pillow Press for poetry books, broadsides, chapbooks, and Solid Quarter Magazine.

Megan Burns' Poeticsofbone&city project on Tumblr

Friday, November 08, 2013

NAPUSWRIMO: Taboo



Why we can't say 
"Vagina"


I remember when you couldn't talk about abortion and say the word "Vagina."
I remember when Oprah told us what she called her Vagina.
I remember when Women's Day suggested that in order to get a raise you should 
freshen your Vagina.
I remember all the times the word vagina was used when someone really meant vulva.
I remember learning every other word for the word vagina.
I remember teaching each one of my children the word vagina.
I remember when Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut and a prostitute because 
she was using her vagina to have sex and wanted to protect it.
I remember when Republican Mike Callton said that the word "Vagina" was so offensive he wouldn't say it in front of women. 
I remember when Naomi Wolf wrote Vagina: A New Biography but I can't remember if anyone read it.
I remember when we had to have an exhibition of vaginas to teach women about vaginas. 
I remember a time before labiaplasty was a popular procedure. 
I remember thinking someone is actually making money selling women Vagina tightening pills. 
And it's probably a man.
I remember looking at thousands of images of Vaginas on Tumbl, more than half depicted rape, abuse, or violence against them. 
I remember being so angry when I was a teenager because I could be raped, and there was nothing I could do about it. 
I remember watching a movie called "Vagina Dentata" where a woman's vagina bit off penises. 
It was hilarious. 





No comments: