Solid Quarter

Visit Trembling Pillow Press for poetry books, broadsides, chapbooks, and Solid Quarter Magazine.

Visit New Orleans Poetry Fest for the annual 4 day poetry festival directed by Bill Lavender and Megan Burns.

Megan Burns' Poeticsofbone&city project on Tumblr



Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Dear Poetry, I Took My Life

Dear Poetry,

This is where I thank you for saving my life.


Thank you.


Do you remember the bargaining?

believed in silence then/ the way the world hurt/ touch me not this cutting is a way of keep me here/ i will dissolve/ i will explode/ i have no wor(l)ds...

What you did was rearrange the game: The price was high. Such a jealous lover. Such a one. Such a possession, you hold me like no other held.

pulled me up from sleep of dying/ washed dreams for new skin/ no lovers tread here/ take this shatter and swallow/ what you make beautiful/ unbreakable girl thing/

I paid the toll. Go into the poet, go into the poet, go poet into the land of neglect and keep your wits about you. Go poet the deep crevasse, pluck naming poet, create these beastlings, wage war against what love. Make a doll of it, and they will take everything you cherish. And I will be all that you have left, is what you told me. And it all came to pass, truth dribbles.

I trust you like I trust nothing else in this space of suffer.

this lively/ underwater singing/ watching it burn/ in the tinder aggregate/ to say/ i built this/ i built this life/ with nothing/ but what you told me

committed/ i fold down my fiery wings & listen


-Love



No comments: